Thread: MB quality?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2002, 02:51 AM

In the same breath, a Rolls Royce may be considered an extremely luxury vehicle, but that does not mean it is also reliable or inexpensive to maintain or repair.

for a 1983 Rolls Royce Silver spur, the rear shocks alone cost in the neighborhood of $2500.00 They are also gas and self leveling, not a cheap system to begin with. They use a mineral oil hydraulic Braking system, and you have to get special expensive oil for the system. Did I mention the caps for the brake resevoir are about $50.00 each or so, and they basically look like larger milk jug tops. We are talking a simple green plastic cap that just pops on. Hubcaps, around $1000.00 each. - again, these are hubcaps. nice ones though, but still.

Isn't it also about the driving experience? Is driving an econobox the same as driving a luxury car? They drive differently, have a different feel, and are in essence totally different things, even though they are still both cars and share the same basic principals.

to me an MB drives like no other car on the road. I like the way lots of cars drive, but in my hands, a mercedes feels just right. I could have gotten a newer bmw than my benz, but the benz felt better to me. I like cars that feel heavy and solid. The benz is easily controllable in slides and emergencies, and feels like a ton of bricks. I love the heavy yet completely responsive steering, and I love the feeling of the seats and the way the car sounds.

To me its worth it for the experience you would have formt he drivers seat.

Got some pics of the C43 and NSX? I'd love to see em.

Alon