View Single Post
Old 02-24-2002, 01:55 PM
Re: 300E Fresh Valve Job...good time to switch to Synthetic?

I also had a new valve job done to my wifes '88 300E. BTW what a difference... anyway, the mechanic who did it works for the local MB dealer, very respectable and very knowledgeable guy. When I ask him about the oil, he said he put in Mobil1 0/40. The car has about 175,000. It's been 8 weeks since the job and everything is dry.

When I asked him about the 3000 vs 7500 he basically said that factory recommends the 7500 because they have not seen any significant dirt deposits assuming the engine has been taken care of. If you took care of the engine then it is better to have the much cooler synthetic vs. the dino oil.

Now it is time to do the '92 400E, with 211.000 but he said the car does not need anything. I guess I will have to trust him.

Originally posted by MikeF
Will be picking up my 89 300e from my mechanic in a few hours. I finally went ahead and had new valve guides and seals installed. It'll be nice to have a dry engine again. You may want to sell your Valvoline stock now as I expect my oil purchasing will decrease substantially.

Here's my questions:

1. Should I go ahead and change my oil within ??? miles after the valve job, to prevent particulate matter from chewing things up?

2. To control oil consumption I've been running 20w50 dino oil all year round (probably OK anyway....Atlanta winter weather is still pretty mild). Now that my engine is sealed tightly (I hope) is this a good time to switch to synthetic? Should I consider a lower viscosity oil for the cooler months?

3. Should I expect any difference in performance after the valve job? If so, why? I wouldn't think it would make any difference.

Thanks for your sage advice,