View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM
ECO-DRIVER

300SD owner in need of guidance in Roanoke VA area

i have an 82 300SD that i'd bought because i love MB diesels and i'd hoped to learn about it and slowly chip away at restoring it while using my VW TDI as my daily driver.

to make a long story short - in the near future i will probably sell my VW to save on car and insurance payments and give me some breathing room paycheck-to-paycheck. before i make this move though i need to do some work on the 300SD so that it will be a functional daily driver.

the thing is i'm a very visual and hands on (learn-by-doing) learner. it's hard for me to read through even a good how-to post and apply it under the hood. but if i'm shown and involved in doing a repair or maintenance procedure i can grasp it very readily.

basically i'm hoping to find someone, reasonably near the Roanoke VA area, with some time and a passion for MB diesels to take me under their wing for a bit and give me guidance on how to do some repairs.

i've adjusted the valves, checked all fluid levels, changed the oil and filter a couple times, and i've changed the auto trans fluid and filter. the 300SD starts and runs well but a number of things are inoperable (power locks, A/C, rear defroster, dash lights, all 12v outlets, etc.). while i'd like to fix everything, i can live without those items for even an extended period but the transmission is shifting hard when not under load and i'd very much like to remedy this condition before using the 300SD too much.

i understand from reading here that hard shifts under low load could be caused by a vacuum leak or a faulty valve or even a worn motor shock or motor mounts, or... i don't currently have enough understanding to diagnose the cause. i may be able to perform the repair if i can get some assistance on the diagnosis, but i may need assistance with the repair too.

if you live in the Roanoke VA area and would be willing to help me out, or if you know someone that might, please reply to this thread.

i believe in and enjoy "paying it forward" as part of life. i very much want to learn about my car through this process so i can help myself and others in the future. even if i wanted to, i don't have funds to bring my 300SD to a shop and have them repair it.

thanks in advance, and i'll post back to this thread as to the status of my 300SD project!