View Single Post
Old 02-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Diesel Power

Quote:
Originally posted by BAd124
Diesel Power,
I am sorry if I was unclear about this. The ones that left a cloud at 90,000 were driven by women who took them to work and the grocery store. The ones that needed new engines every week were the modified ones. Normally manufactures should "underpower" an engine relative to its full potential not be at the limit. A good example of this is Audi and its ability to get 1600 horsepower out of an engine that was made for 240(5 cylinder) in the 80's and still last a whole race. Thats quite a larger gap than going from around 200 to 400. Jap cars are typically made like this with the "enough to get by" attitude but once asked for more usually fail. At least he ran from it anyhow.
I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to the oil burning issue in stock form. I simply believe that the problem is being blown out of porportion. As stated before, this problem is due to the valve stem seals getting brittle and failing. The fix is to replace the seals. With Mitsubishi engines, this is a very cheap (under $10 in parts), and relatively easy fix. All you need is a valve spring compressor, ($20 tool), and either an air compressor, or length of light duty rope to shove into the spark plug hole, so you can hold the pistons in place. Slip off the timing belt and unbolt the camshaft bearings. The job can be done in one afternoon for a novice just by following the instruction in a Haynes manual.

Upon finding it to be an automatic, I would have done the same thing - left. I don't personally like automatic transmissions. Even my MB is a 4 speed manual. I would not have bought it if it was an automatic.