View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Location: Cicero, Hamilton County, Indiana about 30 miles north of downtown Indianapolis
That's not too bad

I think a lot of of your rather poor mileage figures is due to your driving. I have an 85 300D which is a smaller and lighter vehicle. I run it really just at 45 miles a day. I can save a few miles by taking the by pass around town with a number of fast starts, (if I want to keep up with the traffic) If I do that 4 times a day at 11 miles per run, my mileage drops to 18mpg. However if I drive around the west side, through the gravel pits. ect.,I get only two stop lights, and two long runs, one of 4 miles and one of 5 miles with no stops and a legal speed of 55mph. Running that route, is a mile further, but my mileage goes up to 23 mpg. No doubt about it, if you drive with your foot in it and do a lot of short runs, stop and go, you won't get any mileage out of these vintage Benz Diesels. They weren't built for that type of driving. For that you need a 240D.

1983 Mercedes W123 240D 4 Speed 285,000 on the road with a 617 turbo, beautiful butter yellow, license plate # 83 240D INDIANA

2003 Jaguar Type X, AWD. beautiful, good mileage,
Mom's car, but I won't let her drive it!