View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 AM
say: Jook-Ur-Pah

My neighbors across the street (where I used to live) had one and didn't like it at all. They said it handled poorly, was difficult to park due to a big turning radius, and had several blind spots despite the elevated seating position. That street had on-street parallel parking... on a pretty steep hill. They had a really hard time with it unless there were two empty spots. I never wanted to be in front or behind them either, as they had a difficult time seeing anyone on either end. Parking lots were apparently difficult to maneuver as well (I've had face-offs with soccer moms/nannys failing miserably to navigate shopping plazas in these things too) according to the neighbor.

And, ok, I think it's an ugly butchered monstrosity of design. Not Aztec ugly, or PT Looser ugly, or whatever the too many angles/non converging planes Cadillac crossover thing is called ugly... but ugly like the H3 someone already mentioned, or some of the other minivans in jeep's clothing compass/patriot/liberty/ forthcoming "Jingoist" (my own projection based on past/current offerings) etc.

Mind you, I drive a 10 y/o XJ cherokee these days.

I think you'll be horribly disappointed with the build/fit finish and ride compared to your BMW, no matter the problems you've had with it.

It does sound like a reasonable deal... but dealerships are having a hard time even giving away low mpg SUVs like this these days- If you like it, make them an offer and if they balk, walk. It's unlikely the commander will go anywhere for a week or so- give 'em a call towards the end of the month... they'll give you whatever you want at your price.

cheers,
Kevin
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com