View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM

I ran into a little problem with the right side cam. First I lined up the timing marks on both right and left cam timing marks and the crankshaft timing indicator mark to TDC and made sure the rotor on the distributer was also in correct time. Suprisingly all marks were very close to zero.

Next I marked the "old" chain and old sproket with white paint before losening the cam bolts. I used vice grips to make sure the chain stayed on the sprokets. I first pulled the left side (driver's) cam gear and replaced both guides without a hitch. I then removed the cam gear and held the chain back with wire ties. I then took the old cam gear and placed it on top of the new gear and painted a white mark on the new gear to match. I then put the chain on the new gear and put the gear back on the cam. Worked perfectly.

I proceeded to the right side (passenger). I again marked the cam gear and chain with paint making sure all timing marks were still perfect. I then removed the tensioner and guide rails. Next I removed the cam gear. When I removed the cam gear the cam turned clockwise (see picture) once the gear popped off. I suspect this is because the cam was under pressure from the valve springs. The chain did NOT move as I kept that tight to the cam gear to the crankshaft and left timing marks are still perfect. I tied the chain up with wire ties and set asside. I then replaced the guide rails. Now however I can not place the cam gear on the cam because the cam moved. I need to somehow turn the cam counter-clockwise so I can put the cam gear in the correct position. Does this make sense? How should I do this?

I'm not sure what to do next. Currently I can not place the cam gear on the cam so it lines up with all other timing marks. Once I figure out how to put the new cam gear on in the correct position, I will then continue on and replace the chain.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there a trick?

Thanks
-Tony-
Attached Thumbnails
I'm stumped with my 87 560SL-shift.jpg