View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 09:57 PM
bon-vivant and raconteur

W126 XM Radio install - suggestions?

Hey folks, I'm wondering if somebody who's already been down the road I'm on can give me some pointers here.

I have a 1988 300SE (W126) with an aftermarket radio. I also have a Delphi Skyfi XM (the first one, not 2 or 3) Radio. With the mount, it's probably 50% larger than a full-size iPod or some such.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide where to put it and how to mount it without jacking up my nice interior. Anybody done this?

For now, I'll use a cassette adapter for sound. Later, I'll possibly install my AIWA stereo that was in my Jeep (RIP), because it has an AUX input on it (better sound than the cassette). The problem there is that the current aftermarket (a Blaupunkt 'Hollywood') has a 10-disk changer, and that's pretty nice. I'd lose that if I install my Aiwa.

The Blaupunkt is also acting funny, though; the rear speakers are mostly out. I'm pretty sure that the problem is directly behind the head unit (as jiggling same results in sound from one rear speaker). I haven't been behind it yet, so I don't know if it's the stereo, or just a loose wire. If it's the unit itself, then I guess I'll be installing my AIWA soon.

I'd like to power it somewhere other than the cig lighter, though; there's no way to avoid that looking ugly.

Anyway, the tech stuff isn't a big deal; I'm mostly concerned about where to mount it that it looks OK and isn't too hard to reach. Any thoughts, oh wise ones?