Thread: Dad's car
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 07:04 PM
What, Me Worry?

From what I know, he had a Beetle in Germany. In the States, he's had (that I know of) some sort of mid 60's Dodge, An early 70's Galaxy or two. A Buick Electra 225 (the power windows intrigued me), and a late 70's Dodge Colt (maybe early 80's).
I only saw my Dad every few years, as once I was five, I moved back to Germany.

My grandfather in Germany, told me that his first car was a Citroen, that it was slow, and that he wanted to get out and push, to get it going faster. I remember the Ford Taunus's 15m & 17m (aka Badewanne). He then became a Opel fan, Rekord 1700 (Kombi & sedan versions). He ended his Opel affair with a Opel Ascona (I think) 1900. His last car, was a '78 or '79 Audi 80 - which I happen to drive through the Black Forrest, Lichtenstein, and Austria. He always wanted a D, and always used to rave about how well MB's were put together (He was going to get me a job with MB, had I stayed in Germany). He never did get one - however, the first Benz I bought was a D, and I am sure he rode with me a few times.

My Uncle was also a big influence (maybe because he was closer to my Dad's age?). He constantly bought, smashed, repaired and sold cars. I remember him having a Simca, a Renault R4, a Citroen Pallas, a Fiat 250 (V2 engine), a VW Camper/bus and probably a few I forgot. I left Germany in '77, so after that, I would have to list my step father's cars. The only noteworthy one, is the '73 Eldorado, that was better than immaculate.

09 Jetta TDI
1985 300D