View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojkom View Post
Can anyone advise the location of the cruise control module for a 1991 300 SL? Mine is not working and I need to remove it to have it remanufactured and then reinstall it. Any photos would be appreciated.
I happen to have borrowed the service manual on this from my mechanic as we troubleshoot my ASR problem. For a 91 R129 the cruise control is integrated into the Electronic Accelerator system. It looks to me like the only part that is unique to the cruise control is the switch on the steering column. Everything else is part of the Electronic Accelerator system.

If you are not having any problems with your accelerator function in a non-cruise situation, then the EA Throttle actuator is ok. There appears to be a small amount of electronics inside the Electronic Accelerator Control Unit that would be unique to cruise control function. The EA Control unit is inside a box under the hood on the firewall of the passenger side. There are multiple modules in that box and there is no detailed picture in this book that says which one is it...

I don't think the car will operate with the EA Control unit removed. At best, it will operate in "Limp Home" mode while you have it out to be rebuilt.

I suppose you can just follow the cable from the Electronic Accelerator Actuator back to the control module...

I wonder if there is another reason the cruise system is not working?
For example, the book says:

"The cruise control circuit continuously monitors the ground signal from the brake lamp bulbs. It should be noted this means if there is no ground signal through the brake lamps (e.g., bulbs are burned out or removed) the cruise control cannot function. Neither ASR nor electronic accelerator control are affected,"

From this I would deduce that if you have the wrong brake lamp bulbs, or have a bad ground connection to the brake lamps, the cruise control cannot function.

I hope this helps!

Good luck and keep us posted!
87 300E (Sold)
83 300D Turbo (Sold)
75 300D (Sold)
74 240D (Sold after 20 years)