View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 05:13 AM
88Black560SL

Before going too far there is a linkage connecting the motor crank to a bell crank that transmits motion through another linkage to the wipers. You can view this looking under the driver side (US models) See figure. Make sure that is connected and the motor crank is spinning with the motor on. Also make sure the intermediate link to the wipers is connected. You can view both of these by removing the instrument cluster.

Also on my car the pedestal bearing support on this bell crank broke. This happened because one support screw came out and allowed the other side to fatigue. I just put the screw back in and let the broken side support itself against the broken flange. It works fine and saved me from removing the dash.

A new wiper transmission is $800. I got one on E-bay for $50.00. I havent put it in because my fix worked so well.

From the attached pictures you can see that removing the wiper transmission is a huge task. A new dash is $2000.00, if you can still get them for the early 107's. They can be recovered for about $1000.
Attached Thumbnails
Serious Wiper Linkage Dilemma: Early 107-wiper-motor.jpg   Serious Wiper Linkage Dilemma: Early 107-wiper-bellcrank-intermidiate-link.jpg   Serious Wiper Linkage Dilemma: Early 107-wiper-transmission.jpg  

Last edited by Roncallo; 03-12-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Added more pictures and revised text