Thread: Music Tastes
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
New England Hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
Being near Philly, most people around here are shocked that country music is the most widely listened to music across our county. Whenever I leave my area I'm surprised how many country stations are available and how few rock/alternative/urban there are.
It is pretty amazing. Back when I had to listen to terrestrial radio our local country station, 92.5, was routinely tops in the ratings in suburban central CT. Yet not many would admit to listening to it, too embarassed to come out of the closet I guess. They play too much of the new, pop-ish country for my taste but they still pulled in the listeners and the advertising revenue. Although my kids will often listen to it on their own if they have a radio on and it's not on Radio Disney.

We used to have a good classic rock, a heavier rock and an alternative station(s) in Hartford. The alternative and classic stations are now mixed, work-safe listening. The other rock station, WCCC, is now the only choice for rock/alternative in the area. Fortunately they are pretty damn good and, almost amazingly in this day and age, remain an independent station. I do miss having a classic rock station for the background in the warehouse, though.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)