View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunedog View Post
I've had the medial meniscus in each knee repaired. Twenty eight years ago the doc tried to scope my left knee but the tear was too big to pull out through the tube. So he had to open it up. I was on crutches for at least a week and was severely impaired for at least a month.

Five years ago I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Scope surgery successful. I walked out of the hospital about 4 hours after surgery with no crutches. I only had to wear a full length splint. My ortho, who is a sports guy, told me to let pain be my guide for resuming activity. I ran a mile 7 days after surgery. Was completely recovered in about two weeks.

I'm a 47 year old long distance runner. Both surgeries were successful. Go for it.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I can run now but I suffer with a little bit of pain. I usually walk between 6-8 miles a week for exercise. I am worried about taking time off for work as we are shortstaffed and summer vacations are coming up. I also have to use my personal time for the first 5 days off, then short term disability kicks in. On short term I will only receive 60% of my pay. I can't afford to be off for a month.

I had a partial nephrectomy almost 5 years ago. I was out for 12 weeks and I had to pay my own health insurance on top of only getting 60% of my pay. I almost had to file bankruptcy after that one.
'79 Kawasaki KZ 650
'86 Kawasaki KX 250
'88 Kawasaki KDX200
'71 Hodaka Ace 100
'72 Triumph T100R