View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Strong, silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
Raul is alittle nicer...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23611590/
Let's hold off judgment on little Raul until he does something that is really worthwhile.

With Orwellian logic the Cuban government writes:

"Based on the improved availability of electricity the government at the highest level has approved the sale of some equipment which was prohibited," said an internal government memo seen by Reuters.

It listed computers, video and DVD players, 19-inch and 24-inch television sets, electric pressure cookers and rice cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves that can now be freely bought by Cubans.

Did you all catch that? Due to improved availability of electricity, the Cuban people may now buy things like .... car alarms!

Hmmm??? Car alarms that run on A/C electricity? Really?

As usual, the Communist regime is interested in only one thing: preserving the status quo at all costs.

There is more (from an MSNBC blog):

Thursday’s measures list computers, video and DVD players, 19-inch and 24-inch television sets, electric pressure cookers and rice cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves as items that Cubans will now be allowed to buy.

While some people here will rejoice in the changes, you have to remember that most working people earn the equivalent of about $25 a month and can barely make ends meet. All retail is run by the government and averages a 240 percent markup as legislated by Cuban law.

An average Cuban, making about $25/month now has the privilege of buying a 19" TV set, at a 240% government mandated mark-up, just so he can watch the two channels of government control TV currently available.

Progress indeed!

Mistress, thanks for sitting Shiva for me and for the "other" lawyer. You are a true friend. As soon as I legally can, you will get a box of Cuba's finest cigars, especially made for you -- rolled on the thighs of virgins!

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!