View Single Post
Old 02-26-2002, 10:57 PM
Strong, silent type

Question Nakamichi vs. Alpine vs. Eclipse

The good news: There are lots of good choices out there.

The bad news: There are lots of good choices out there.

I looked long and hard for a HU and CD changer for my 420SEL. I finally chose the Alpine CDA 7876 with a 12 disc changer.

I had considered comparable Blaunkpunt (sp?), Nakamichi, Eclipse and even Sony. What eventually sold me on the Alpine was: (1)Benz now uses Alpine, (2)the overall specs, (3)12 disc changer, (4)XM ready and (5)dealer recommendation (I trust this dealer).

I was initially put off by Alpine's looks, but their newer models (like mine) are less gaudy. Take a look at this year's units, they look even less glitzy.

Nakamichi has some nice units. I am considering an Eclipse H/U for my daughter's 300TE. This particular model takes 6 CD's through the faceplate, so I don't have to get a separate CD changer. (I haven't been able to figure out a good location for
a changer in a 300TE that doesn't involve major mods to either the spare tire compartment or the power antenna compartment--If any of you have any practical solutions, I'd like to hear about it...thanks)

IN the long run you have to decide how much you can afford to pay for your system and what features are important to you.

Good luck--happy listening

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!