View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Reviewing options too

It seems to me that 5 years ago a vehicle that got 25-30 mpg was really viewed as really economical. I was thrilled with the mileage from my old SDL and the 300SD I have now. Combine that with similar gas and diesel costs and the MB option was great. Add in the chance to buy a sub- $10K car that will last a long time (used MB diesel) and it was an easy decision. The way I see it there are 3 sets of costs to car: fuel, cost of the car ( with depreciation), and operating expenses like maintenance and repairs. MB did great on fuel, great on cost / depreciation, and good enough on operating expenses.

Two big changes have come about for me. Fuel has just about doubled (with diesel getting the worst part of the deal), and so has my driving. I recently accepted a job that has a 140+ mile commute a day, so mileage and cost has become more important to me. I'm starting to look at what will be available in the 40 mpg range. I'm thinking that will become the new entry point for "economical" cars. I'm starting to do the math to see what one of the new 40+ mpg Honda Accord diesels will do vs. a gas solution. No answers yet but certainly looking to see what options are out there. Another option may be one of the late 90's MB diesels that get in the mid 30's mpg. Gotta figure in cost, maintenance, and fuel.

No answers yet, but certainly looking at the figures.

Chuck