View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 01:05 AM
say: Jook-Ur-Pah

Fine Art brokers

I am assisting a friend in handling the settlement of (essentially) three estates which have accumulated several reasonably valuable pieces of art throughout the years. Old blue-bloods died, passed art to not quite as blue-blooded kids, who never looked at it and put it in storage, passed to kids, etc... until now, there are only two kids left and they could essentially wallpaper their homes with all of these pieces.

The obviously valuable pieces were easy to identify- one Edward Hopper study for example, but I'm having some difficulty with a few of the more obscure pieces.

So, I was curious if any of you has had to have art appraised or used art brokers to sell fine art. Experiences? Words of wisdom? Rates to expect? There is one piece which will probably go to auction if all goes well- but a majority of these pieces just need to be connected to people who know and appreciate the artists.

There is also a ton of art glass (some with Sotheby's lot stickers on them, but no hallmarks/makers marks of any kind), china, silver, etc.

Anyone have any thoughts?
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com