View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkveuro View Post
So, going on this I am breathing a little easier.

Is this the drop Dead letter you refer too?
(Date)

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been contacted by your company about a debt you allege I owe. I am instructing you not to contact me further in connection with this debt. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a federal law, you may not contact me further once I have notified you not to do so.

Sincerely,

(Name)

(Account No.)
I would be careful about sending this letter. First you must ask that they validate the debt and provide proof of debt (be specific about requiring proof…if they can’t prove it…they must stop collection and remove it from your report) at which point they can not contact you again, with the exception to tell that they received the validation request and are going to investigate it. If they are able to validate the debt and have proof, they can continue to contact you. You then must tell them in writing that the number that they call you at is not a convenient number and that all communications must be done in writing.

Simply telling them not to contact you as it is a violation might make it seem like you do not know the statutes…because that is not true.