View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Colonel Blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymbrymi View Post
$$$$$

I think you underestimate the tolerances involved. I can't give you exact numbers, but this isn't something you can take to your average (or even excellent) machine shop. You have to find manufacturers of other diesel components, and get them to make it. There are some in China that are willing, but I don't remember who it was. Then you run into minimum quantity orders.

Even then the quality will not be up to Bosch levels. For example, the Myna Diesel 7mm elements are available for purchase on their own, and they reportedly don't have the same consistency in injection delivery (idle is rougher, etc).

My $.02
Bosch arnt doing anything to spectacular. They use the same lathes and grinders that can be found at any machine shop that's properly tooled up.

Bosch quality? Have you SEEN what they're India nozzles look like?

tolerances can be held to a millionth pretty easily these days. Someones gotta know a friend in the trade, usually you can abuse the machines "after hours" (or atleast, I did)

When we used to order Danley die punches, they were $15/each. Each were ground to a the ten thousandth. All were hardened to 65hrc (if I remember correctly) before grinding.

High speed machining is cheap.