View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 03:09 PM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Tom, wornout corduroy interior can sure as shootin hold it back. Also ask if it's got manual windows. Pillarless coupe ye gotta have electric winders to fully enjoy the car. Add sunroof and this 4-spd 250CE is arguably an equal sportscar to auto tranny SL convertible, depending on how its driven.

But the weird thing is 4-spd configurations can actually make for tougher sell. Am reminded of my 280SEL factory 4-spd twincam, the only 4-spd 116 I've ever seen. Y'all coulda knocked me over with a french fry when 6 of 9 callers answering my advertisement in newspaper back east (was NYC vacinity located at the time) insisted they'd rather own an automatic. Yet the 4-spd SEL was sweeet - gearing on the beast plus long legged wheelbase made it a job to keep under 85mph. Above all others thats the VMB I'm sorriest to have let slip through my fingers.

This 4-spd 250CE is easily the hottest sleeper sports car we've seen in awhile here. Dont laugh..... it will easily out-handle all of em jelly bean styled cars out there and invoke uncommon love of its owner. Expect it oughta be snatched up as graduation gift for somebody's son or grand-daughter. Otherwise anybody over age 50 oughta bag this 250CE knowing its all they'll ever need. Though arguably at 120k miles the m130 engine will definitely require valve and chain work in another year or so to see another 140k miles.