View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Man of the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Incorrect. The blocks were made specifically for the Diesel engines. They were NOT converted g@ssers.
Not so, the infamous gm 5.7L diesel was a factory converted 5.7L olds gasser. The blocks were the same. They were junk! We had 3 in the family. In fact, a mechanic friend of the family converted a 5.7L diesel BACK to a 5.7L gasser. Stay away from them! 6.2's and 6.5's were decent if they were maintained. Unfortunately, GM only offered the junk 5.7 olds diesel in the passenger cars. The others were only offered in trucks and suburbans.

So I was off on the displacement, still, same idea and same general concensus. If you don't worry over being the best looking thing in the neighborhood and you plan to just give it regular maintenance and run it till it drops as a runabout it works. It's certainly not an investment car, and not anything worth putting any real repair money into. I dunno what the heck they were thinking when they designed those trunks. If they'd only made them longer and more squared to follow the car's lines, they'd have had a decent body.
82 240D -for sale