View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 AM
"Illegal" 3rd Dist. Rep.

*** Tread Separation On The Interstate ***

Yesterday, got the oil changed on "Fausta" and decided to give her a whirl on the Interstate...head east 'til Mauston, tour the town and then head back...get on the pedal and run 'er up to 80-85 mph., after sitting all winter...

As I drive to Mauston (Exit 69 on I-90/I-94), I feel a little "bumping" occuring, but I can't locate where it's originating from.

Get into Mauston, slower speeds, and nothing...

I get back on the "I" and start heading west...then, at about the "split" (I-90 & I-94 separate, with I-94 heading towards Eau Claire/Minneapolis and I-90 back towards La Crosse), I start to feel the "bumpiing" a little more pronounced...then, just before MM #41, W H A M ! BapBapBapBapBap....'til I get it below 25 mph and onto the shoulder of the highway...with the Emergency Blinkers flashing, I head right onto the Exit Ramp and at the top, I get out and look...about 1/4 of the tread on the RR tire tore off...I'm looking at a cross-sectional view of my Michelin...all the way down to below the steel belts...the only thing that saved the inside of the wheel-well from a good whipping was the mud-flap...

Anyways, the tire hasn't blown, but the back end of "Fausta" is doing a good "hula" at about 25 mph...I head north through Tomah, on the cellphone, calling the only God-forsaken place open at 1730 on a Saturday afternoon, for tires...Mal*Fart.

They'll stay open for me...

I "waddle" in, and half the tire store has to come out to see the MB...they're amazed that #1.) There's a car, older than them, and it looks better... #2.) I didn't blow the tire out completely and crash...

Anyways, out of every tire style they have there, they don't have a complete set of 4...only 3 of two styles and a few singles of others...

I have them call the next Mal-Fart down the road west of us...and sure enough, they happen to have the same situation, no sets of 4, just 3 or less of each style that could fit on the Benz...I buy two at the Tomah store and the other two at the Sparta store...Goodyear VIVA II - P195-75R14 WW. And I had to tell both places "White walls out!"

The old tires? I couldn't believe what I was running on...all tires had chips and chunks missing from both the inside as well as the outer sidewalls...I was at the 5/32" on all four, so they were wearing evenly, but that was about the highlight of it all...

Anyways, new rubber all the way around and what a difference! I just wished I had the chance to find a 205-60R14 or comparable...but the 195-75R14 will work...it was what was on the Benz when I got her back in '05...and the Sparta store stayed open 'til 8:00 pm...two hours after they were suppose to close...

We'll see how the new tires hold up...

I've included two shots of the old tire that caused all the trouble...

Enjoy...
Attached Thumbnails
*** Tread Separation On The Interstate ***-shreadedmichelin..i.20080322.01.jpg   *** Tread Separation On The Interstate ***-shreadedmichelin.ii.20080322.01.jpg  

M. G. Burg
'10 - Dakota SXT - Daily Ride / ≈ 172.5K
.'76 - 450SLC - 107.024.12 / < .89.20 K
..'77 - 280E - 123.033.12 / > 128.20 K
...'67 - El Camino - 283ci / > 207.00 K
....'75 - Yamaha - 650XS / < 21.00 K
.....'87 - G20 Sportvan / > 206.00 K
......'85 - 4WINNS 160 I.O. / 140hp
.......'74 - Honda CT70 / Real 125

“I didn’t really say everything I said.”
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Yogi Berra ~