View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I like OM603's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistel View Post
I believe there are problems with the E40D tranny.
E4OD Has evolved to the 4R100 at this point. (99+ F-Super Duty and Certain Half ton F150s, and others in the E Series Model Line)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E150GT View Post
Our company has a 2000 F-550 with a 7.3 and man that thing will not die. Sure it's had it injector/pump woes, but thats because our absent minded drivers keep running gasoline in it.
Power Stroke Diesels do not have IPs. Its HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injection ).

So, PSDs do not have injection pumps and lines. Instead, it has a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) and reservoir, pressure regulator and galleys/passages in the cylinder head for flow of fuel to the injectors.

Fuel is pumped from the tank by a tandem fuel pump which circulates fuel at low pressure through the filter bowl/water separator/heater then fuel is sent back to the fuel pump where fuel is distributed at very high pressure into the cylinder head fuel galleries. The injectors are then fired by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the injectors, which are controlled by the PCM but are hydraulically actuated by the oil pressure from the HPOP.

More importantly, is this a F350 or E350.

Subtle differences:

F350 has Intercooler and double pop injectors, and MUCH easier to work on vs the short nosed van. No intercooler on the E Series either.

Problems to watch for:

Failed torque converter in the 4R100 (sounds like marbles in the coffee can)
Doesnt seem to affect anything after 99.5 but I have seen a 00 with the rattle.

2000s have forged rods, vs the PMR that was used halfway thru 2001 production.

Crank Sensor Recall. The new campaign sensors are failing, throwing MIL lights and #8 cylinder failing Cylinder Contribution tests......I kept the old one in my glove box just in case.

Rear pinion seals leak in the axle (with anything of that age anyway)

Check out the dieselstop, but since Jason Lester sold it, it has all these banners, advertising stickies etc. I was going to the dieselstop when it was ford-diesel.com and before that, a guestbook on Jasons personal page (1995).

Good luck on your purchase.
11 GT500