View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Now Y2K Compliant

Talking Windshield Washer Addicts Anonymous

Where are ya'll? I know I'm not the only one.

The following has been greatly exaggerated, though not by too much.

My name is Joe, and I have a Windshield Washer problem. Nope, I'm not drinking it, though it does contain alcohol. Might give you a little kick (a kick straight to the phone to call Poison Control), I dunno. When I first got the 300D, the system was a mess. Only one tube was running to the driver's side jet from the tank, and the tube was blocked. I decided to make this one of my first projects for the 300D, it was cheap, and easy to do. After all new lines, a new check valve, replacing the fluid motor I accidently broke, putting a new grommet under the new motor at the tank, and replacing the driver's side jet that I broke while removing the old tube, I finally got it working, but I couldn't stop there. I had some fluid partially cleaning the screen, but I wanted it CLEANER! I wanted it to be like someone was constantly applying Stoner's Glass Cleaner. A MB enthusiast turned me on to some stuff known on the streets as "Summerwash". I now have a tab at the dealer for Summerwash concentrate (sobs), I'm buying tube after tube of the stuff week after week, I can't even afford air for the tires anymore! All my windshield washer fluid has to be laced with the stuff, I can't do it straight anymore!

I had to get a larger reservoir bottle from a Euro 280CE at the junkyard, the more fluid I could hold, the better, it made me feel like a bigger man. I recently updated my passenger side nozzle jet from the single jet to the double jet, put a cheapo inline filter on the line to prevent the nozzles from clogging so I can have a good view after hitting that swarm of gnats, and then aimed them according to the Maintainence Manual. I finally achieved perfect windshield cleaning. The jets of fluid hit the windshield at all the right places, cleaning the screen with one push of a button, 3 simple and steady wipes from the Bosch blades, and giving me a safe and crystal clear view of the road. I finally did it! But the rush was gone. I had to find something else to do to the system. Now I'm even having thoughts of using distilled water instead of the blue fluid, it CONSUMES me. I spend all my time in the driveway holding down the button, cleaning the windshield until the tank is empty. My family and friends worry about me. They tried an intervention, inviting the Parts Counter bartend..., I mean, Service Advisor who would administer me the Summerwash and the guys from "McParts" who would sell me the blue fluid, but I ran off and went on a drive, pressing the washer button every 5 miles. I have to stop, I'm becoming a "Fluid Head". Help me Windshield Washer Addicts Anonymous (WWAA)!

Sooner or later every car falls apart, ours does it later!
-German Narrator in a MB Promotion Film about the then brand new W123.