View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaia View Post
I just completly rewired my engine harness on my 1993 500sl because of an intermitant asr problem.
Now my asr light stayes on all the time. Do I have to reset it and if so how do I do it.
Sal
EDIT: Much of this post is not relevant since the 92 and 93 ASR systems are different.
I am basing my comments on the presumption that the 93 500SL is the same as my 92. I believe the harness you rewired would be the leads from the ETA (Electronic Throttle Actuator) to the control unit. Yes, these wires like to crumble...

In saying that the ASR light stays on I also presume the car stays in "Limp Home" mode. Unfortunately, you can't just disable the ASR since it is integral to the operation of the car...

Logic would say that you have a wiring problem in your repaired harness. You may find yourself purchasing a new ETA which includes some of the wiring. Hopefully your control unit has not become damaged in the midst of this...

The only wiring information I was able to locate did not give pinouts, but indicates there are 7 wires. 2 for the DC actuator motor, 2 for the saftey switch, and 3 for the position sensor potentiometer.

Unfortunately, I am told there are no codes to be read from the control unit on these early models. If someone knows otherwise, please direct me to the information!

Good Luck!
87 300E (Sold)
83 300D Turbo (Sold)
75 300D (Sold)
74 240D (Sold after 20 years)

Last edited by speace; 03-27-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer that the info was not for a 1993 SL