View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVOtoGO View Post
Intercourse, PA.
I figure that’s one place in America I should certainly say I’ve been to before I pass on. So I’ve looked into it a bit.

I found a bit of a chuckle (if not confusion) regarding the hotel there.

Their advertisement states:
Experience the history and lifestyle of the Amish while staying at this 100% smoke free Intercourse, Pennsylvania hotel. Located in the quaint village of Intercourse, Pennsylvania, the Best Western Intercourse Village Inn & Restaurant offers a look into the history and modern day life of the Amish and Mennonite communities.
Room Information
1 DOUBLE BED,NSMK,HI SPEED NET,IRON,COFMKR,TV25IN,
* 1 Double Bed * No Smoking * High Speed Internet Access * Iron And Ironing Board * Coffee Maker * Television 25 Inch * Continental Breakfast

Seems odd to me, to read about High Speed Internet Access, Coffee Makers and 25 Inch Televisions with all the other rubbish about “lifestyle of the Amish”. I guess it’s become part of the “modern day life of the Amish and Mennonite communities”.

DJ
UK mum

Welllllll - you make a wise observation WVO. I live 5 minutes from Intercourse. Insert your own innuendo. Having grown up near Blue Ball, Bird-in-Hand and attending a high school named Garden Spot (abbreviated G-Spot)....I'm rather desensitized by it all.

Intercourse (the town, that is) is rather bogus - it's just commercialized quasi-amish stuff to feed the outsiders. I suppose some of the furniture, for example, is amish made....but obviously, staying at a holiday inn or best western isn't the way to understand the culture. Having said that......do tourists really want to "live" like the amish on their trip? If so, I'll be buying a huge house right down the street (without electric) to convert into a B&B.

Back on point though - yes, I've eaten pig stomach and I cook scrapple every saturday morning - served with maple syrup. Both my house and the organic, amish farm that I buy everything from is located on that map posted above.

So ladies, if you want to experience Intercourse, PM me (photos, please).

And WVO - there is an small airfield in Smoketown - between my house and Intercourse, I'll pick ya up and we'll go a dieselin'. The amish love my old benz and are very, very interested in biodiesel.

Last edited by Jordan G; 03-26-2008 at 08:14 AM.