View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 PM

CD-ROM manuals help - it used to work? - computer help

CD-rom manual wont run - never had a problem before

OK I have had the Mercedes cd-rom manuals for my w124 for about 4 years never had a problem opening or navigating (maybe it was painful to find what I was looking for but it worked).

Have not needed to refer to the manuals for about 6 months.

Now all of a sudden it won't run. Started by telling me I needed acrobat 5 (7 is now on the machine). Told it no - don't install get the opening screen then accept then a partial screen looking for a plug in (which it can't find). This was coming up automatically in Firefox which I have also not used in a while because of speed issue.

So uninstall Firefox - figure it will force it to IE

No dice - it never runs at all and asks to install acrobat 5 again

So I tried installing acrobat 5 - it installed but the CD still does not run. I click start and it still asks to install acrobat 5 and doesn't even get to the start window - nothing runs (well at least my real honest to god official Mercedes CD manual)???

Reinstall Firefox and create new profile - this seems to have fixed my Firefox speed issue.

However - I now go through the start window again, accept, and am back to a missing plug in that it can't find?

Anyone else have this problem or hints in how I can get back into the manuals? Works fine when I use it on my work computer??? Computer is running XP media version.

Thanks
Paul