View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssuemock View Post
My 380SL has been in the body shop for over 4 weeks (long story) and now all of a sudden the fuel sensor relay under the dash has failed. Does anyone know of the failure rate of these relays/sensors? Sorry if I'm not too concise, however, the Mercedes body shop wasn't all that clear either. All they said is that it quit while there and then they had to replace the part? Could this have been accident related? I was hit in the rear at 55 mph. OUCH. Please let me know if anyone knows of the failure rate; so I can convince the other guy's insurance company to pick up the $300 tab on this thing.
Thanks.
Sounds to me like someone may have been confusing the fuel pump relay under the passenger-side dash with the sending unit under the clear, plastic cap in the soft-top boot compartment. The relay does tend to fail, and would prevent the car from running, but I can't see how being rear ended would cause it to fail. I suppose the sending unit could be affected by a rear hit, but if I'm not mistaken, that unit simply sends the fuel level info to the fuel gauge.

OTOH, the fuel pump, filter, and accumulator are all tucked away under the car's rear. So, being rear ended could have definitely done some damage to any or all of these. But, then again, I wouldn't trust a body shop guy to diagnose the problem unless he was affiliated with a dealer or Indy. BTW, if it is the fuel pump relay, it's about $100 and very easy to replace. The sending unit is also easy to replace, but it's over $200.)

Good luck!