View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Dionysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Dionysius, see post #65, procedure was from Brian. Not sure if it is the official factory procedure or not.
I have looked at post #65 and I find it inadequate. I see no point in disconnecting the 4-Way Banjo (Note: It is not just 3-Way anymore) and could risk introducing air.

Because I have become so frustrated with reams of parallel information I decided to produce a procedure and I want all of you to challenge it and peer review the hell out of it. Here is my effort which I placed in another thread following Leathemang's advice but I am getting very few hits over there.

Please tell me if this is or is not a foolproof and exhaustive procedure. I plan on hanging this on my Garage Wall for reference.

To everybody: Please challenge peer review reword edit this to achieve a debugged procedure to start a diesel on those nasty winter mornings when it cranks continuously but just will not start......
I will focus here only on the fuel bleeding and fuel delivery part. The other checks such as Glow Plugs; Compression; Air Delivery etc. will be added later if people show interest and interact in debugging process.

Low Pressure Fuel Supply Bleeding Procedure

1. Acquire a jar and place circa one inch of diesel fuel into it.

2. Disconnect the cigar hose from the fuel return line to the tank and seal with finger to prevent air ingress

3. Submerge the hose end into the fuel in the jar and release finger

4. Using hand primer and/or cranking continue until bubble-free flow is established

5. Reconnect the cigar hose to the return line keeping it finger sealed as before

Notes:

a. The Injector Pump (IP) fuel supply line circuit should now be air free.

b. Confirm this by pumping the Primer Pump and listening for the characteristic check valve chatter chirp sound. A vibration at the check valve can also be felt when this sound occurs. If this checks OK then proceed. If not troubleshoot the cause.

High Pressure Fuel Supply Bleeding Procedure

1. Crack the nuts at the injectors by loosening a couple of turns

2. Crank the engine whilst observing

3. Witness a small pulsing air free flow of fuel being emitted from each hard line

4. Tighten the nuts as this consistent air free flow is in progress

5. Engine will now start if other critical subsystems are operational

Note :
The other critical subsystems refererred to in step 5 are:
Glow Plug subsystem
Injectors
Clean pre-chamber
Copious supply of clean air
Compression greater than 221 psi on all cylinders
Less than 42 psi difference between cylinders
Operation block heater system if ambient temp is below 10 deg F