Thread: Cut and Splice?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Don't Tread on Me

Cut and Splice?

I've gave my wiring harness on the 450slc a good looking over today. A lot of the original harness looming is brittle and cracking off thus exposing the wires.

On the rectangular connector plugs that attach to the frequency valve and cold start valve the flexible rubber boots have deteriorated causing the insulation on the wires to split at the connector pins and expose the copper strands.

What can be done to stop the wires from shorting? I thought about electrical taping them but that's pretty sloppy and trying to wrap tape around individual wires in a tight grouping is difficult. I have some liquid electrical tape that might work to some degree, but that seems kinda half assed too.

Heat shrinking the wires would be OK, but I'd have too pull the pins out of the connector to slide the shrink tubing on. Not sure if those pins can be pulled out of the connector. If so, How?

Another possibility would be to cut off the connectors with the bad boots and splice in connectors with good rubber boots. I saw several decent shape ones at the junk yard. Would splicing in new connectors cause resistance and affect the frequency/cold start valves? Use butt connectors or would soldering the wires be more effective?

Not sure how to proceed and I'm sure someone out there has been here before.

What's the best way to proceed?