View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 11:13 PM

Eek! 6.9 might be back in hibernation!

Well, I took the 6.9 out yesterday while I was at my workshop and to my dismay she refused to engage in any gear after I started her up. A quick check of the shift linkage and control rod confirmed that those were indeed connected and ok (why they wouldn't be, I have no idea anyways). Left her alone for a while and came back and viola! She snicked right into reverse! Well, I got out on the road and came to the first stop sign, upon acceleration she refused to budge. Hmmm, ok, back outside to recheck everything (and yes, fluid level too). Got back in, still no go. Revved to 3,000rpm and she caught. So I headed back to the workshop to scratch my head for a while. Finally I came to the conclusion that the transmission (remember, it was recently rebuilt by a respected Mercedes shop) was either not holding or building up hydraulic pressure. The 6.9 has a special check valve in the valve body which prevents the front pump from sucking air rather than fluid. It has a spring and ball which go into the fitting before the banjo bolt is threaded in. Removal and checking confirmed that was all ok. So now I'm guessing that something else is wrong internally. Options at this point??

Well, I'm sure as hell not going to yank the tranny back out again in my shop. Looks like I'll be renting a flatbed and borrowing a bud's Durango to haul the car up to Star Motors (the shop that did the rebuild) in Endicott, New York to have them diagnose and repair whatever is wrong. They will cover it under warranty. Just hope I get the car back before she winds up sitting for ANOTHER 6 months! And this time, she will be outside since she'll be at someone else's shop! Ugh!! Wish me luck boys.