View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_man298 View Post
Indeed a buzzer can be had, some had posted however that they didn't like buzzers. It's a matter of preference.

I see your line of thinking with your setup, it seems failsafe, but the circuit still relies on the integrity of it to conduct and the contacts to make for it to sound the alarm, so what happens if it works @ startup, and 2 miles down the road you hit that little road crack, where that frayed to one or two last strands wire fails completely? Fail safe means it alarms or halts a machine with a loss of power to a holding circuit or PLC input (safety circuit would fail into a safety mode), so if the circuit failed it would falsely alarm, but would never fail to warn you in a time of need. There's really several ways to do this, pending what you want to spend and what your preferences are, I was just simply putting in my views to add to the idea pool.
The warning signal needs to be audio in nature.. that is why planes have speakers saying ' pull up'... instead of a light on the dash...

I have no idea what you are objecting to .... no system will work if the wires are cut. At least my suggestion causes the system to be checked regularly... any safety person knows that getting people to do the right and sometimes boring thing can not be counted on. My design makes a noise until the engine gets the oil pressure up. This causes the person to know it is working at that time... a vicious squirrel under the hood that intentionally disconnects it will certainly defeat the system.
To have it fail safe as far as warning that the electricity has failed to make it to the warning system might include a magnet which holds a steel ball off a contact... then if that squirrel is successful taking electricity from the oil pressure circuit you will know it... but if that squirrel attacks the backup system you are still out of luck.

I do not suggest that the warning system turn off the engine by itself...
Even that Perkins example earlier assumes the vacuum pump/lines/diaphram are working at the time the oil pressure goes down.