View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Dead on balls accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarTek View Post

...One trick I use when changing the oil is to take the shop vac and stick the nozzle into the oil fill hole. It creates enough suction to keep the oil from coming out of the hole when the bolt is removed. That way you can remove the bolt, place your container in the exact right spot, get out of the way and then pull the vacuum. Works perfect every time and no hot oil on the hands!
Dang smart! I am going to try that next time I do a change. I usually am doing all three road vehicles at the same time so I have alot of old oil to take care of.

For the coolant block drain, I used a 1/4 inch galvanized ball valve with a two inch nipple going horizontal and an 90 degree elbow with a six inch nipple when I flush the system. This way I can drain the block, put in the valve, run water until it is nice and hot and then open the valve to drain. It also served as a back flushing tool with a four foot section of hose grafted to the end of the last nipple. I removed this rig after I was done with it for fear of it being hit by something on the road and loosing my coolant. If you are brave you could just leave the valve on the block with maybe the 2 inch nipple and a cap to be safe and keep the threads clean.

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW
'92 Subaru
'96 Impala SS
'71 Buick GS conv
'67 GTO conv
'63 Corvair conv
'57 Nomad

Last edited by LUVMBDiesels; 04-09-2008 at 12:48 PM.