View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Revisited:

Well, after deciding against buying the Caddy Seville diesel, I ended up in the area of the car today, and, as I had not yet seen it in person, went to take a look. So now I have more information/ need for knowledge and opinions.

The interior is SPECTACULAR. A little dusty, but with a good vacuuming and cleanup, it would be a BEAUTIFUL interior. Really liked that.

The engine started up fine after a glow, but it made a LOUD "pop" kind of noise (loudest when it first started, but continuing even after that). The "pop" definitely sounded out of place and WAY to loud, even for a diesel.

So: I'd really like to pick up this beautiful car, as it is a VERY low price, BUT I'm disconcerted about the pop sound.

Any ideas? Could it be the sound of an engine running dry (ie oil pump dead)? It's NOT a knocking sound (ie doesn't sound like a thrown rod). Could it be somehow pre-ignition in the cylinders?

ANY ideas would be helpful. I'll post pics when I get home. After I have more info I'll try to get down there again (it's about 30 miles away) and get some video w/ sound so that you all can hear exactly what it sounds like. Thanks guys.