View Single Post
Old 04-12-2008, 04:19 PM

'84 Cadillac Diesel Owner

Purchased an '84 Cadillac 5.7 Diesel at 99,000 mi in '89. Traded my Audi Wagon in for it and the dealor couldn't believe we were giving up the Audi. It was expensive to fix. We owned the Cadillac for 6 years and it was amazingly 100% reliable. Never had any motor or fuel injection pump trouble. Top of the line trim w/leather and real wire wheels. This automobile had great range with many out of state trips. For example one memorable drive we drove it to New Orleans from Waterloo Ia, filled up in Memphis and again when we arrived in New Orleans. Two tanks of fuel with factory tank! It was a tremondously comfortable road car. Sold it with 194,000 mi and saw it at Kmart this last fall of '2007 still being driven by the same gentleman. I would not hesitate to purchase this one again were I able to do it over again! I loved it!

Owned an '82 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon and an '83 Olds Delta 88 as well. Both of them had head and injection pump troubles with the wagon having 3 replacement head gaskets. I didn't know I should have had the head planed for warpage. I Liked these cars as well for range and comfort, however my olds models were trouble. I believe the '84 and '85 model year motors had stronger head bolts among other engineering improvements.

That being said, without anyone knowing service or being able to drive or look over the car it must be your decision and it's a small investment up front with unknown dollars for immediate maintenance.