View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM
cphilip.com

No real secret. Just easy on the throttle and stick to a speed she likes. She seems to want to go about 60 with the flat fronted camper on. And I have indeed seen 12mpg's pulling a lot of mountain and hills so thats not too uncommon to get if the conditions are tough. A truck on a trailer is a terrible wind resistance. Its going to really hurt ya. So is a big flat camper nose. But this particular rear end ratio does not like anything above 65 for fuel mileage as the RPMs are climbing above 2100 then. I could probably squeeze her to give me a 20mpg run on flat lands if I stuck to about 50 mph I would guess. She does however have so much grunt that she never ever drops out of OD even on moderate hills at 65mph. But I have to keep my foot out of the pedal and just set the cruise. And note... go back and read... that mileage best was not towing. 19.2 was an empty run from here in SC to Chicago and back. Typical highway NON towing is in the upper 18's. Like 18.8 or 18.9. Towing that little Motorcycle box trailer in the picture does not drop it more than 1mpg. But the Camper really drops it. Mostly wind resistance I believe.