View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
AHH,What's up Doc????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervan View Post
So i run my 1981 240d pretty hard, its a manual 4 speed. I usually let it sit on the rev limiter in all four gears if i can. (Only to clean it out these engines love to howl) So today i drive to work, just like usual. And before i leave i start the car and let it idle for about fourty five minutes before i leave. Now, before all of this i had added gasoline to the fuel tank with about three gallons of diesel and a quart of engine oil to lubricate the IP. So i get in my car after it idled for allmost an hour, drive off everything is fine, shes howling through her gears. And i drive home, wich i live about an hour away and decide to get some clothes and oil to do an oil change on this car. As im going through the walmart parking lot i let the car get up to about 4k rpms, not on rev limiter but up there and then i glide into my parking spot and let it idle for a few seconds, to cool the oil. I shut it off and get out lock the door and start walking to the walmart entrance, A guy stops me and says "hey how do you get your car to do that?" and he points at my exhaust, and im like... bad paint job? my chrome is falling off? So a girl walking next to him says "hes talking about the sparks coming out of your tailpipe" and im like HUH? sparks?... So i just go "oh, its a diesel" and walk away.

Freaked me out because i thought that it was demolishing itself before i remembered that i let it idle for like forever. and maybie my muffler is falling apart. cool sparks anyone else?
Your burning up your engine and pushing it to hard. This 240D will have ashort life span if you don't knock this off! It might be too late already. Sparks coming out the tailpipe is hot metal fragments finding their way out of your motor.

If you really want to destroy it and put it into it's grave, keep driving it this way!