View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Well I'm depressed now...

Been working on the old girl. Tried to change the break pads today. They were rusty but they looked thick as new regardless. Calipers were rusted like you wouldn't believe. Tried to bleed the driver front brakes, but the bleeder bolt just snapped off from rust....So I need new calipers on all 4 tires. Their are some rebuilt ones for not such a bad price. I have two front tire rods that I can replace so that won't cost me anything. The wheels won't hardly turn on the disc. I think the calipers are pretty locked up and I'm surprised the breaks work at all but they do. I don't know how many but at least a couple make the car stop....The engine on the other hand....Keeps getting better. Cleaned out the injectors, changed the filters, did a diesel purga and cleaned the banjo bolt and ALDA bolt and lines. Engine feels soooo much better. I'm not too worried about it. After the banjo bolt and ALDA leaning though, the transmission has weirded out on me going up hills. Hopefully a filter and flush will take care of most of that problem. So anyway, I can afford to change all the calipers...but, I need to know if my spindles are okay or not. They look rusty but not damaged. I can't afford those. How do I tell if they are okay? I can't afford axles either but maybe a cv boot kit might do the job. How can I tell if I need new axles? Other than that...I feel like with a valve adjustment now and some transmission work that the engine would be totally solid. Any advice would be appreciated. If I need new spindles and axled and that sort of expensive stuff then I will have to suck up to the 300 dollars I've put into this car and let the owner junk it.....that would be so sad....I love this car.