View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 AM
AHH,What's up Doc????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Cool. I think technically that is a radial engine and not a rotary engine, particularly if it was in a tank. With radial engines the crankshaft turns while the engine is still. With rotarys, the engine turns and the crankshaft is still with the propeller attached to the block and not the crank. Rotaries were common in WWI aircraft I believe but they dropped out of favor partly because the huge rotating mass of the engine caused strange handling characteristics for the plane.
Correct! A radial engine will make the plane fly a slow, very slow, lazy turn in one direction because the engine is turning over in the other direction, but when the engine is a rotary, it tries to make the airplane do a barrel roll! Could be fun until it happens when you let go of the controls!

Because of this, radial engines were considered much safer and the airplane would remain relatively stable in flight on it's own. I worked on a couple desigs of rortary diesels when I was an engineer for Chrysler. These had advantages we now attribute to the two stroke, capable of starting up easily with maximum power output very fast! The rotary was however incredibly expensive to build and maintain, so the radial was adopted. The rotary was most often used in cooling systems where immdiate refrigeration was required and land based and was experimental in getting big loads moving fast, like a tanker truck filled with water used by firefighters!