View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Zero

Talking Oh crap momment today...

Every once in awhile we do something that is dumb...

Today it rained like freaken crazy! So I was leaving SCSU heading home and came to a nice wide open intersection. I have nice new wider rubber on the rear and wanted to see if it could still break the rear end lose. I was also talking on my cell phone while I was doing this. With the old tires the rear end would break free pretty easy and I could step it out a little, perfectly controllable not really crazy. Well these tires since they are new and wider needed some more work, but at 4k in 1st half way through the corner they broke free, oh dear God was what went through my head! They snapped free and all of a sudden the rear end was racing with the front, on a busy 4 lane street! So I tried to adjust with the wheel and held her in what I am sure to the people behind me looked like a freaken perfect sideways drift. All while visions of crunching metal went through my head... But then you know when you get right on the edge and you know if the car goes an inch further you are spinning? Well I could feel it, I was balancing it on that edge. I let off the throttle to snap the rear back because I didn't want to be one of those Youtube videos and stuff it into a line of parked cars. As I did that it freaken caught and snapped back.

Three points:
1. I was on the phone the whole time, my uncle was like WTF because I said "oh ****". I said some DB just pulled out in front of me.
2. Their was a cop in the other lane! I got lucky he must have been blind or something. Thankfully he didn't notice the blue MB going sideways past him with the driver on his phone! I should have waived...
3. A guy in a Nissan 350Z gave me the double thumbs up at the next light.

So the moral of this story is, don't do stupid stuff. Only skill and a bit of luck prevented me from looking dumb like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnOqNx3FRE
2007 Tiara 3200