Thread: I need Base!
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Ghost of Diesels Past

I've been reading the reviews for the Alpine.
Many have listed that if you power them over 400 watts they start to sound like garbage (single) and just power then at 400 watts.

I am also amazed at how much over MSRP best buy sells these things for.. The Alpine Type R 12" sub MSRP's for $110... best buy is charging $230 each... marking things up to the max just like the monster HDMI cables..

The Kenwoods Boom linked me to look like a deal, they are dual voice coil and etc.. I think I'll go with those two kenwoods and just wait for someone to advise me on an amp and enclosure.But it looks like this million buy dude is jacking up the shipping charges... I just sent my vogtlands via parcel post for $40 and those weight 50 lbs.... seriously

The spinner speaker grills are free and would protect the subs in my trunk from stuff in it.. so if i buy them I'll just deal with it.The sub boxes I have found on ebay for dual 12" subs( in a sealed box) will fit in my trunk but... they are slanted at the rear thus rendering a flush fit with the bulkhead impossible.. One such box's depth dims are 12" at the top and 15.5" inches at the bottom... which would cause it to stick out. I think I am going to go custom for this. I want a box that will sit flush with the bulkhead and then extend out and make a nice flat edge where the trunk opening starts behind the rear window as well as extend out to the sides making it look like the trunk starts where the sub ends... ya dig?

The ebay sub box
click here

Dual Kenwoods

possible amp

another concern is the power output by the alternator since the AL117X only puts out 65 amps. The amplifier I found consumes 40a which would probably cause issues with the other electronics in the car. My option is to upgrade to either the 80amp of the 115amp(If I can find it) and do the rewiring or I could just not get subs but where is the fun in that

Last edited by TheDon; 05-03-2008 at 01:57 PM.