View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 AM

What to do when a girl calls you out of the blue?

Well, not really out of the blue in the sense that I've known her for a long time and she suddenly calls me unexpectedly. I've only known the girl for as long as she started work here, and that's casual at best. We've never really talked at length or went out for coffee or such. I just gave her my number today and got a call the same day! Here's the nitty-gritty, down and dirty. We work at the same place but different departments. Sometimes I go to her dept and help out. Today she tells me that at the end of this month her temp contract ends so that means she will leave. She said that she would like to keep in touch and asked for my contact info. She then writes her number and e-mail address on a slip of paper and gives it to me. For some weird reason I was just expecting an exchange of e-mail addy and was thinking of just giving that out until I realized she may have meant phone number as well. Anyhow, I give my info in return. Later that night I get a call and didn't recognize the number, so I didn't bother to pick it up--didn't really want to anyway as I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone over the phone. Besides, I don't normally answer calls I don't recognize. (Only a few people have my number.) A few seconds after the phone stops ringing I get a message alert. I dial voice msg and it's her! Quite truthfully, I didn't really pay close attention to every thing said but it was something to the effect of I recently broke up with my boyfriend...I don't have too many friends...I was hoping that we could get together sometimes and hang out...please don't mention this to anyone at work. I'm somewhat floored by this msg and don't know what to make of it, and I'm not quite sure why--or maybe I do know. I don't want to sound like a fool and take her call, or msg, as a sign that she is interested in me. But if that is the case, then I really didn't see it coming!

Here's the thing. I've not called her back and don't want to yet. I really don't know what to say, to be honest. I know I will have to, but when and what do I say? I know it sounds simple enough, just call her back and say what's up, but I don't know what she's expecting, and I'm not quite sure what's expected of me. I've never really taken an interest in her, so it's not like I'm hesitating due to any lovey-dovey anxiety. It's all silly, I suppose. I mean I should know how to handle this sort of situation. I'm really too old to act like this--like a schoolboy or such (ahem *cough cough* my superior at work, for those who may know the dealio on this)--when it comes to human relationships. And I do hate to ask such trifling questions to you guys here, but many of you offer very sage advice or comments on personal or love matters. Eh, I'm just making much ado about nothing. Sorry if this post isn't as exciting as Tyler's post!