Thread: I need Base!
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 PM

ok lets talk capacitors, what they do is send the amps a low ohm signal. Unlike a battery where there are alot of ohm and capacitor is very low like under 1 ohm. The capacitor acts like a battery holding a charge but unlike a battery it can unload all its power in very sort term. When you are listening to music and you hit a bass note your amp will starving for power, the battery cant keep up with the demand because of the high ohms. well the capacitor will give it the power it needs. In other words no dimming head lights, and tight clear bass, not mushy bass. In a part of a song where there may be repetitive hits of bass the battery along cant keep up so you might not hear all those hits you might only hear a single hit. The more farads a capacitor is the more power reserve it has. The general key is 1 farad every 1000 watts but every car is different. I have the al129x and 4 farads but when i turn it up and it is really hitting the radio will sometimes shut off because it has to little power. I have about 2500 watts worth of amps in my car but even then 4 farads still dont cut it. Its one of those things you experiment with. You can always add more in series or split of the line and run in parallel if you use two amps. If you get one make sure you read up on how to charge them or ask later when going to install. If charged the wrong way they can kinda blow up. another thing to keep in mind every time you disconnect the battery you will have to recharge them. I just use a test light and use the fuse terminal that is under the hood. the fuse light has enough resistance to keep it from charging to quick.

Now for the headunit its all about the volts out of the pre-outs. the more volts the clearer the signal. 3 is average 4 is better and 5 is the best. most likely yours is 3 and it will do dont worry about it. Another thing to help is to turn on the crossovers on your headunit so you wont play bass over the speakers, let the sub play that it will make the quality of the speakers better. i set mine to 60 hertz. If you have any more questions just ask.