View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Opulence Spreader

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
You don't really replace the wastegate on the '87, but if you want more boost from the stock turbo, you can replace the actuator arm with an adjustable-length arm.
I guess I was figuring that the wastegate doesn't really get replaced; you talk about more boost and I am wondering if I could put another fail safe in place of the overboost controller that would be missing if I leave the ALDA off...

If I hallow out the ALDA and put it back in place w/ vacuum lines, will the overboost work?

Before I push more boost from the stock turbo I think I am going to check out the cooling situation first; the last 75 degree day we had I took her on the highway, 2 people in the car, A/C on full @ 65-70MPH and the car's temp. sat halfway between 80 and the line above (100 I would assume). When we got off the highway, A/C on, stop and go traffic situation the car's temp sat just below that 100 line.

Horribly digressing from the original thread here let me give you guys an idea on what I have noticed driving the car to work this morning since that is the most routine test (5 days a week).

With the ALDA removed now Day 1 really I haven't had to push the foot pedal down more than 1/4 because the power at that point is already more than w/ the ALDA on.
- I am thinking this results is because the vacuum lines going to the ALDA were nasty, or full of crud, or the ALDA was just not appropriately set, or all of the above.
On the two hills where I normally shift down to 3rd to keep the car even with speed I needed no shifting, no extra foot power maybe 1/2 on the foot pedal.

The car shifts MUCH smoother now; the shift points are still at 2k RPM and that seems funny now because when I do pess the foot pedal down 1/2 way it litterally flies through those gears.

Most importantly though it feels like the car went from being an 80 year old washed up boxer, an heavy oversized four cylander if you will, to a 20 year old athlete who is ready for it's big day. I mean composure wise the car FEELS like a 6 cylander, it has confidence, and I have confidence driving it which is an added bonus.

Now this is not by any means a fast car, it was not mean't to be and I did not buy it to be one. I bought it because I knew about the reliability of these engines, I wanted a car that would pass emissions (for once), I wanted comfort like my old 89 New Yorker but something that could handle as well (New Yorker felt like a Couch on wheels, soft but scary) and most of all I wanted the extra room a wagon provides.

I will put the ALDA back on for security with some fine tuning, especially considering I already cracked two decades of torque out of it, if putting the ALDA back on mean's that I have a security feature designed to stop the car from blowing itself up; but if there are other alternatives to the overboost controller (like a boost controller?) then I would like to research those options too. There may not be and I understand that, but nobody has come forward saying they have blown their engine from removing the ALDA and their turbo overboosted/blew.

I am going to shut up now, I just got into work and they removed my computer to reload it last night at 3PM and it's 7;50AM and I still do not have it back. Thank god I brought my good old Ubuntu laptop in with me so I could get in touch with the world.

Last edited by frankstallone; 05-06-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: boost controller?