View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 08:50 PM

89 190e starting problem

Theres several topics on this in the forum when I searched but none seems to be similar to this situation.

I am actually looking to get this car. The owner is a buddy who will let me have it if I want it. I am hesitant because I have too many cars already and I don't know if I want to mess with this one.

But heres the story: Car has been sitting for almost 3 years because he stopped driving it after he could not start it anymore. According to him, it was running just fine until he used it less often and was parked more often. Then it started stalling at first then it would not start anymore. He played with it a bit. THe car would start and run only if he sprays starting fluid in the intake. Once you stop the spray the car dies.

His opinion is that that one of the "fuel pump relays???" is bad (I do ntot enugh about the 124s to say that this diagnosis is good). It would seem to me that it is more of a fuel related problem. Could it be a bad fuel pump?

Anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon