View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Dead on balls accurate...

Heck, I bought the 300SD because it was 100% mechanical. I am not so sure about the SDL as it was electrics going to the IP, but on the 617, you could push start it and run with no battery or alternator. Talk about cool!

I hate all the electronic crap in cars these days.
I look at my 1974 Jeep with it's Holley carb, points and coil and I can understand it. I can also tune it by ear with a flat bladed screwdriver!
When I got her, she was running on 2 cylinders. A few fixes (plugs, wires, a shot of seafoam) and she is purring on all six as only an AMC straight six can purr!

I look at the 1984 BMW with it's Jetronic fuel injection and I have a hard time figuring it out. I have figured out how to tune it a bit and how to make it run fairly smoothly (damn that idle control valve!), but it is MUCH harder to understand.

I look at the mess of wires under the hood of the 1999 Suburban and I am totally lost The only way I can even attempt to fix anything is by reading OBDII codes. Because I do not understand the newer systems it cost me $2000 for injectors and labor last year!

I am totally afraid of what you would find in a Prius! You need a dgree from MIT to even think about working on one!

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW