View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:05 AM

< As soon as I get the tools I will pull the cluster. Is there any point in testing the ig switch while I wait for the tool? >>

I know that the cluster is where you got scared off, but it is not a big deal and there is no way to get to the suspect K38 without doing so...

But , aside from that, I also do not suspect the battery either b/c if the bat were too low for starter activation, then your jumper to X27 would not work... which is why my very first post sent you to x27 test........................ again, you did report low voltage to x27 when turning the key,so that is an indication that you do have a poor connection thru one of those parts [ K38 or Ign sw]. When the cluster is pulled , the ign feed to k38 is terminal #1 [ V wire] at relay 87. The power then goes thru relay to 30[ V/Grn]...that goes down to x49/2 which is NSS [ but you have already jumpered NSS , so we know your problem is up at K38 or ign feed to K38]..so.cluster time, no way around it.
I have seen a condition simular to your where the contacts in k38 were causing a poor contact and a new battery was sufficient enough to overcome the poor conductivity of K38 for start, but it was only a temp fix and k38 had to be change a few days later . I do not think that to be your condition and that is why we are looking at K38.
I also do not think that ATA is at fault for not energizing K38 b/c you started that you saw 11v at x27 from key...if k38 was not on, it would be impossible to see any V at x27. That is what K38/ATA does..it interlocks/interrupts power to X27 so a crook can't start your car.
You have some conflicting info that I am working with, but even thru that, I am satisfied that K38 circuit has to be looked at to finally get to the correct diagnosis... that test will be the tell.........and you can post this in any other post for other Techs/Members opinions, but I think you will get the same test procedure and sequence as I have done form the get-go.......Period.

I would also agree with MBDOC that once you are finally at the K38, I would jumper it permanently regardless of what you find just b/c of that chassis frequent failure rate of ATA/K38 activation......it is going to leave you stranded sooner or later ..[ but with the x27 jumper trick, at least you will now know how to get home...]

Last edited by Arthur Dalton; 05-08-2008 at 10:42 AM.