View Single Post
Old 03-11-2002, 08:27 PM

Talking valve stem seal replacement

I just replaced the valve stem seals on my 1989 260e yesterday with seals I bought from Fastlane. Thanks to Dennis for the multiple postings with helpful info. I also used a K-D #2078 valve spring compressor and it worked fine. I borrowed it from a friend; so that saved me a few dollars. Due to the wheel shaped handle I did have to loosen the transmission fill tube and remove the air cleaner assy. Snap-on has a nice one (CG90) for about 45.00 and you can remove the handle and operate it with a socket. I was using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. The car only has 52,000 miles on it but the old seals were definitely worn. I've only had the car since last August and it had 43,400 miles on it when I bought it from the original owner. He was retired and only drove the car short distances so I believe that accounted for the wear. I've been using mobil 1 since I bought the car but did put in Castrol 20/50 to see if the oil consumption changed; it didn't. I put in Mobil 1 10-30 after I finished the seals. I thought about using the 15-50 mobil 1. For those using Mobil 1 what weight are you using? I did check for play in the valve guides anf they were fine. I really enjoy this site and the folks at Fastlane were friendly and quick to ship.