View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Update:

Steve at www.unwiredtools.com was gracious enough to offer me the use of a pressure gauge to check the control pressure.

The pressure gauge arrived as promised and I performed the following;

1) Loosened and moved air filter assembly out of the way.
2) Removed inlet side of fuel line. The car has been sitting (unstarted) since first posting on the forum. Interestingly, there was no fuel leaking from fitting at time of removal as described in the instructions provided with the gauge by www.unwiredtools.com.
3) The outside temp at the time of the test was 62.4 F
4) Reassembled inlet side of fuel line with gauge installed as per instructions.
5) Car started immediately with a "turn of the key." Within 30 to 45 seconds after car started pressure rose immediately to 40+ PSI.
6) Approximately 2 to 3 minutes into test, pressure had risen to 54 PSI.
7) Approximately 4 to 5 minutes into test, cars idle lowered, and pressure held at 52 PSI.
8) I did notice that car was not idling as smooth as it has previously. Not what I would describe as "rough," but not as smooth as it has idled in the past.

I can’t say “Thank You” to Steve at www.unwiredtools.com too many times! I literally live over two hours each way from the closet metropolitan area that might even have the necessary gauge to do this test! I have posted pictures in the hope that this might help someone else. I have benefited greatly from the members on this site and welcome the opportunity to “Pay it forward”!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
380SL Hard Start & Poor Mileage-pressure-test-001.jpg   380SL Hard Start & Poor Mileage-pressure-test-002.jpg   380SL Hard Start & Poor Mileage-pressure-test-004.jpg   380SL Hard Start & Poor Mileage-pressure-test-005.jpg   380SL Hard Start & Poor Mileage-pressure-test-010.jpg