View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 PM
88Black560SL

Last week I made a oil sensor fitting out of aluminum that did not fit in the car. This week I redesigned the fitting and remade it out of 4140 steel. I hate working with this material and perhaps it was a bit overkill. It took me 5 times to get it right. I'm lucky I had enough steel.

From Left to Right in the first picture

#1) Everything was going good until I drilled the oil passage and the drill bit broke inside the piece just as it had broken through into the oil sender cavity.

#2) On this specimen I ASS U ME d that I new the dimensions in my head and I took too much material off.

#3) See number 1

#4) Learned what not to do on a Bridgeport on this one. Specimen slipped in vice due to J head not locked down.

#5) Running out of material at this point. I actually made 2 simultainusly with the last 2 pieces of material I had. I figured since the drill keeps breaking as I bust into the sensor threaded cavity than I wont drill into the sensor cavity. I drilled the oil passage first then the sensor cavity. That worked and I now have 2 parts complete.

The rest of the pictures are of the second good specimen installed on my spare filter housing.

So whats left to do.

1 A 450SL radiator is on order. I believe that will get me running at least for the moment.

2 Two more wiring components need to be installed and then I can finish final routing of the wiring.

3 Before first start, I need to bypass heater hoses and transmission lines.

4 Put gas in it

5 The key

Of course its Mothers day tomarow and next week I want to go to Carlisle.
Attached Thumbnails
M120 into 560SL (With Pictures!)-dscf0009.jpg   M120 into 560SL (With Pictures!)-dscf0010.jpg   M120 into 560SL (With Pictures!)-dscf0011.jpg   M120 into 560SL (With Pictures!)-dscf0012.jpg